Sharon Historical Society


  • 07/17/2022 4:30 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    In May 1976 The New Yorker published a Saul Steinberg poster as its front cover.  Entitled "The View of the World from 9th Avenue" its focus on downtown  New York City with the rest of the US dwindling off in the horizon, this piece became immensely popular and recognizable.  Not long after, Stuart Frank, the director of Sharon's Kendall Whaling Museum, painted a Sharon version of the Steinberg poster.  Here we have the Whaling Museum in the forefront, with some of Sharon's most familiar landmarks in the near distance, and the Atlantic Ocean almost immediately filling the distance.   Although the Sharon poster did not sell as many copies at the the New Yorker one did, many Sharonites and friends loved it..

    In October 2001,The Kendall Whaling Museum, founded in 1955 by Henry P. Kendall, merged with the New Bedford Whaling Museum.  About 70,000 artifacts that had been held in Sharon were moved to New Bedford by November 2002. 

  • 04/29/2022 8:53 AM | Anonymous member (Administrator)

    Here's a PDF timeline of Sharon's history compiled by Shirley Schofield:


copyright Sharon Historical Society. Sharon Historical Society is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.

Mailing address: PO Box 175, Sharon, MA 02067. Physical address: 16 High Street in Sharon

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software